Always in a hurry? Make this delicious quick and easy red beetroot soup recipe so you will be enjoying a fresh hot soup in less than 30 minutes.
Makes 4 servings in 20 minutes, originally posted by Eli Poppe, 16th April 2005, Oriental Style.
You can buy beetroot already cleaned and cooked, so preparing this is quite easy to do.
The dish has the most amazing color: deep creamy, almost fluorescent pink. Not sure if the photo does it justice. As a result, it looks quite unhealthy, but of course isn’t; quite spicy but still with a mellow aftertaste. I love it 🙂
One word of advise though, in case you are not used to cooking beetroot: it is quite juicy, and rather colorful, so beware of staining your clothes and cooking equipment…
Fast beetroot soup recipe
- chili paste ingredients:
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh ginger
- 2 dried chilies (more if you want it really hot), crumbled
- 1 stalk of lemon grass, finely chopped (after removing the outer layer)
- 1 tablespoon of mint
- the juice of 1 lime
- soup ingredients:
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- about 11 oz (350 gr) beetroot, cooked and chopped into small cubes
- 16 fluid oz (1/2 l) good chicken stock
- 6,5 fluid oz (200 ml) of coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- to taste : a bit of olive oil
- garnish – presentation:
- some lime juice
- 4 tablespoons of cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
Fast and easy red beet soup recipe
- Put the ingredients for the chili paste in a blender and process until you have a rough paste. If it stays to dry, you can add more lime juice or a bit of olive oil.
- Put a pan on low heat, and melt the onion and cumin until the onion is soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and the chili paste, bring to boiling point and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Present the soup in soup bowls, and after your guests have expressed their concern about the colour of the soup, let them add lime juice, cucumber and onion to taste.
- Bon appetit! Beetroot soup: done.