Enjoy the best tomato sauce recipe in the world with pasta or meatballs: it will be ready in less than 30 minutes without much dishes nor effort.
Organic tomato sauce is not only healthy because it is organic, but also because tomatoes are known to help prevent cancer (the red substance in the tomato is the key ingredient, and it gets more concentrated when you keep on boiling the tomatoes to a thick sauce or even puree). Cancer is the last thing you want to treat: since there is no real cure, you are better of in keeping yourself as healthy as you can.
Your health is your most important asset, so treat it well and start boiling lots of homemade organic tomato sauce: whatever you can’t use today, you can freeze in for later. All you need is a huge pot, lots of tomatoes (fresh when you have the time), a small fire, water, spices and a few hours of time, and you’ll enjoy the best tomato sauce ever.
Do try to grow your own fresh tomatoes at home. They do grow in a big pot on a warm balcony, as long as they don’t get exposed to cold nor rain. Easier to grow on your balcony are basil (and other green herbs) and chilies (when you live in a warm climate)!
However when you have little time to spare, then buy organic tomatoes in a tin: they have been boiled already which saves you the time.
- I prefer fresh grown organic tomatoes from my balcony, because fresh from my garden is always paleo and they make an even more easy recipe: all the ingredients can go straight into a blender and set to simmer in a pan: the longer you simmer, the more delicious your tomato sauce will be. (simmer your sauce for a couple of hours, and a couple means 3 or more …, just make sure the tomato sauce doesn’t dry out, so add water when needed and put a lid on your pot).
- Personally I do find canned tomatoes sour enough, so I don’t add vinegar to them. When you like your sauce to be more sour, only use "delicious" vinegar and start with a few drops only before you taste again. With "delicious" vinegar I mean a good wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Obviously to make the best sauce, you need to choose the best canned tomatoes. The Italian tomato brand called La Fiammante – each tin of tomatoes contains one basil leaf to flavor the tomatoes – is recommended. Easier to find would be the organic tinned tomatoes from Waitrose.
- Making a huge pot of sauce is ideal for storing the access in your freezer so next time you want to eat e.g. pasta with tomato sauce, you will have your sauce defrosted and ready.
Best tomato sauce recipe ingredients
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- some fresh chopped basil stalks or a good pinch of dried oregano.
- 1 long fresh red chili
- a couple of tins of organic plum tomatoes
- sea salt
- fresh grounded pepper (combine black, white, pink… whichever peppercorns you have available for more taste)
- when desired (after your personal tasting) : red wine vinegar
How to make homemade tomato sauce
- Fry the garlic gently (make sure the colour doesn’t turn brown, otherwise start all over again) in olive oil with the basil and chili. Pierce the chili once with a knife so it doesn’t explode when frying. Red chili always gives a subtle heat to a tomato sauce.
- Add the tomatoes – try to get hold of the best Italian tomatoes – and leave the tomatoes whole. The tomato seeds can be a little bitter, so if you chop the tomatoes up, the tomato sauce could become a little less sweet.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and simmer your tomato sauce gently for 30 minutes. You can nicely take a shower in the mean time so you will feel fresh for dinner!
- Remove the chili.
- Break and mush the tomatoes up with a spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste if more needed. Taste and add a few drops of red wine vinegar… taste again and there you have your best tomato sauce ever!
When you made a big pot: let cool down and divide in portions in sandwich bags to freeze in.