Enjoy this delicious easy chicken and rice recipe in 1 pot: so you have less work during cooking, enjoy a delicious stew and hardly have any dishes afterwards: enjoy and relax.
Serves 4 in 1 hour and 30 minutes, originally posted with permission by Ana Patuleia Ortins, 2nd March 2006 (Meat / Chicken / PORTUGAL / Main Dish / Stove (Dutch Oven) / No marination)
Stewed chicken or "Galinha Estufada" in Portuguese, is one of the many delicious recipes from Guest Chef of the Month March : Ana Patuleia Ortins, famous chef and author of Portuguese Homestyle Cooking.
Ingredients for Portuguese easy chicken and rice recipe
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large very ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup (120ml) white wine (optional)
- one 2 1/2 to 3 pound (1,1 kg to 1,4kg) chicken, cut up, rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups (800 ml) water
- 1 1/2 cups (300gr) converted rice or other long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (80gr) peas, frozen or fresh, shelled
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
How to make stew chicken with rice
- Heat the oil in a 5-quart (about 5 liter) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add and sauté the onions until a light golden color, about 10 to 15 minutes.( In Portuguese : this is called "refogado")
- Put in the tomatoes, paprika, garlic and bay leaf. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the tomatoes are soft and partially dissolved, about 15 minutes.
- Pour in the wine, if using, and simmer for 2 more minutes. Add the chicken and water, adding extra water if needed to just cover the chicken. Recover the pot tightly and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer the chicken for 15 minutes.
- Toss in the rice, salt and pepper.
- Stir, re-cover, and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and 1 tablespoon of the parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes more or until the chickenmeat is nearly falling off the bone.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Let the stew stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with additional parsley. The rice should be tender and the liquid should be absorbed. See variation on page 87 of my book : Portuguese Homestyle Cooking.
When you want to cook more easy and delicious Portuguese recipes: click here.