Prepare this easy chicken chili recipe when you feel like cooking a very fast and delicious meal and little dishes so you can quickly enjoy the rest of your evening.
Makes 2 servings in 45 minutes, originally posted by The Skinny Cook on 22th December 2005 (Chicken / Asian (Malaysia) / Gas or electric stove / No marination)
Sambal chicken or chicken chili is a typical recipe from Malaysia and Indonesia, and you will find also variations of it in Indian cuisine. Sambal is a spicy condiment used especially in Indonesia and Malaysia, made with chili peppers and other ingredients.
When I lived in Belgium, I especially liked to "spice up my rice" with "sambal oelek" (fry an onion in oil with some brown sugar and "sambal oelek", before frying your overnight cooked rice over it). This "sambal oelek" is sold in Belgium in any big supermarket as an Indonesian spice-mixture in a small jar (common brand names Suzy Wan and Kikkoman).
To my amazement: in Malaysia, it was hard to find "sambal oelek". But I learned that Malaysian recipes make up for this by introducing a lot of different sambal mixtures and best of all: you can make them yourself!
The recipe below I like : it’s delicious, has easy to find ingredients and best of all: it’s fast & easy to prepare: just blend ingredients together and start cooking.
Spiciness needs to be countered by sweetness, hence the use of homemade honey and carrots: both being much more healthy than simply adding refined sugar.
Healthy chicken chili recipe ingredients
- Blend to a smooth paste:
- 1 onion
- about 20 dried chilies (blends easier if you soak them first for 5 minutes in boiled water)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 chicken, cleaned and cut in pieces
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3,4 US fluid ounce – 3 Australia fluid ounce (100ml) water
- salt to taste (1 tea spoon)
- oil to fry
How to prepare your fast and easy chicken chili recipe
- Heat oil over medium fire. Put in sliced onion. Fry till fragrant and golden brown.
- Put in chili paste, stir till well- mixed for about 4 minutes.
- Put all at the side of the pan, add a bit more oil if needed and brown the chicken pieces in the middle op the pan, for 1 minute on each side, then stir around with the spices and fry a bit further (a few minutes till the chicken is well coated with the spice-blend).
- Pour in water, salt and honey. Simmer till gravy thickens and chicken is ready (less than 30 minutes, more likely 20 minutes will do: the meat will come of the thigh).
- Serve your easy chili chicken with lots of love and a cool drink, like a mango lassi.