Prepare this easy curry chicken recipe when you don’t have much time to cook but want to enjoy a delicious curry with little preparation.
Makes 2 servings in about 1 hour, originally posted by The Skinny Cook on 15th of August 2001 (Chicken / Asian (Malaysia) / Main Dish / Stove / No marination).
Before you jump into the recipe, do know that you can split it up and fry the aromatic base of the gravy in advance. You can even make a lot, freeze in portions and use one portion every time you want to cook chicken curry.
When you want to make this dish as fast as possible without a frozen gravy portion: blend all the ingredients ("aromatics to fry") in step 1 before frying, so in step 3 you don’t have to blend anything anymore.
We add tomatoes in order to make a thick and healthy gravy. You can also add in more potatoes : the starch of the potatoes will thicken your sauce.
For creative cooks who want to make their own curry-mixture: experiment with the ingredients until you reach your own "perfect" curry-powder.
Ingredients for this easy curry chicken recipe
- 1/2 chicken, cut into (10) pieces
- 2 times 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 oz (150 gr) yogurt(1 little pot)
- 1 big potato, diced in 12 pieces
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- leafs from 2 sprigs of coriander
- Aromatics to fry:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch (2,5cm) fresh root ginger, finely grated
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 clove
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Dry spices:
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
How to prepare your simple curry recipe
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic, ginger, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, cloves and fennel seeds and fry until the onion is golden.
- Add the paprika, ground coriander, cumin, chili powder and turmeric and continue to fry until the oil runs free from the spice mixture.
- Drain off the oil, stir in the yogurt and : puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Fry the chicken pieces in the remaining oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the blended spice mixture, the potato, tomatoes, salt and cook over low heat for about 20-30-45 minutes : until the meat and vegetables are done: 20 minutes should do fine when you cut the chicken in small pieces.
- To serve : add extra salt to taste and sprinkle your chicken curry with the coriander leaves.