Simply cook this very easy authentic Indian curry chicken recipe so you will enjoy a delicious dish after little work and minimal dishes.
When you want this dish to be completely authentic, use a mortar and pestle. When you are a busy cook, buy all means save time and use a blender in stead of grinding the ingredients manually.
The secret to get this dish as delicious as it is, lies in the extra 1 hour of marinating your chicken pieces. You could do without, but the endresult will clearly be different.
Indian curry chicken recipe ingredients
- 1.75 pound (800gr) boneless chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 ripe tomato, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon (sea)salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups (about half a liter – 470 ml) coconut milk (can be replaced with normal milk, but of course that too gives a different taste)
- optional: 7 ounce (200gr) long beans, cut into about 2 inch (4-5cm) lengths
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek
- 2 sprigs curry leaves (use the leaves only, not the stems)
- a good 3 oz (100 gr) onions, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 red chilies, seeded and sliced
- 2 green chilies, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander (ketumbar) powder
- 3 tablespoons chili paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (for meat and chicken, we love the brand Baba in Malaysia, but choose your own preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (sea)salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock granules
- juice of 1 lime
- fresh green herbs
- long red fresh chili
How to make a delicous authentic Indian curry chicken in 4 steps
- Marinate chicken with salt, ground black pepper and tomato. Set aside for an hour.
- Heat oil in a pot, fry ingredients (A) until fragrant and onions are lightly browned.
- Mix in ingredients (B) and continue to stir until well blended. Add chicken and coconut milk. Cook covered at a gentle boil for 25-30 minutes.
- Take off the lid of the pot and put in the long beans. Continue to simmer until beans are just cooked. Add seasoning to taste, (garnish with fresh green herbs – optional) and dish out to serve.