Easy lettuce soup recipe with only 6 ingredients ready available in your kitchen so you will enjoy a cheap and delicious soup in less than 30 minutes.
Makes 4 servings in 30 minutes, originally posted by The Skinny Cook, 7th December 2001 (Vegetables / Europe (Belgium) / Soup / Dinner / Stove / No marination).
Late summer and hot weather in Belgium results into lots of fresh tomatoes and lots of lettuce: ideal for your daily salad.
But before you know it, the season changes or you just can’t cope with the vast overproduce of lettuce. Meanwhile in the supermarket: lettuce is on sale like 2 for the price of 1…
Easy and cheap solution : time to create a delicious soup!
Romaine lettuce soup ingredients
- 1 large lettuce, about 16 oz (1lb) (1/2 kg) (I used romaine lettuce)
- 16 fluid oz (1/2 l) milk
- 16 fluid oz (1/2 l) chicken stock (you can also use instant stock or granules, main thing is that you need half a liter)
- 1 oz (30 gr) butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- lemon juice to taste (I used 3 tablespoons, but I do love sour soup)
How to prepare this easy lettuce soup recipe
- Melt butter in large non-sticking pan.
- Add lettuce leaves. Stir on low heat until the leaves wilt.
- Add milk and chicken stock. Bring almost to a boil.
- Puree the leaves with an immersion blender (stick blender).
- Bring again to a boil.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a little bit of water. Add cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 3 minutes, so the soup can thicken.
- Serve your lettuce soup now or like with any other soup: leave in the fridge overnight and serve the next day, so the flavors can develop more.