This pinto bean salad is not only great with broiled corn on the cob and grilled chicken but is yet another negative calorie diet recipe!
Who said that negative calorie foods are boring? Let the recipe below proof these people wrong. Lovely sweet and sour taste thanks to the combination of apple cider and molasses.
Negative calorie diet : Barbecue pinto bean salad
For 4 persons:
- 1 15-ounce / 450 gr can of pinto beans. For the sake of healthy recipes: buy only organic pinto beans and rinse them thoroughly when you take them out of the can
- 2 medium seeded and coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions (those green onion stems) trimmed and chopped
- 1/3 cup (80ml) prepared spicy barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons pure apple cider vinegar
- for a spicy touch: your choice of hot sauce to taste (I love it with green tabasco)
- freshly coriander leaves to taste
- freshly grounded pepper to taste or your other favorite spices : since Indians are the masters of delicious vegetarian food, try to find Chaat Masala and add at most 1 teaspoon.
Preparing pinto bean salad
- Mix in a large bowl the apple cider vinegar, barbecue sauce and molasses. Whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the vegetables: scallions, tomatoes and rinsed pinto beans.
- Toss the vegetables to coat the pinto beans with your vinaigrette.
- Season with fresh ground pepper, hot sauce and coriander leaves. In case you make the salad one day ahead, add the fresh cilantro leaves 1 hour before serving.
This pinto beans salad can be made one day in advance to serve with your upcoming barbecue. Store in the fridge but make sure to serve at room temperature.
Get more free negative calorie recipes from this author as a bonus when you buy the Negative Calorie Food Diet e-Book.