Prepare this red curry paste recipe so you will enjoy delicious tom yum soup, curry chicken or a green curry paste when simply using green in stead of red peppers.
For long-term storage in your freezer, fry the curry paste in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil until boiling. Let it cool down, put into small batches in a container and freeze. For short-term storage in the fridge, put into a container and spread a thin film of vegetable oil on top.
For making a green curry paste, follow the recipe below but substitute the 9 dried long red peppers with 2 tablespoons of green small hot peppers. If you want to use more ingredients, then use this Thai green curry paste recipe.
What is Kaffir lime?
Kaffir Lime : Latin name : Citrus hystrix DC.
Synonyms in many languages :
- Burmese cooking Shauk-nu, Shauk-waing
- Chinese cooking Suan gan yet
- Danish cooking Kaffir lime
- Dutch cooking Kaffir limoen, Djeroek poeroet
- English cooking Indonesian lime leaves, Wild lime
- French cooking Limettier hérissé, Combava
- German cooking Kaffernlimette, Indische Zitronenblätter, Indonesische Zitronenblätter, Kaffirzitrone, Kaffirlimette
- Hungarian cooking Kaffir citrom és levél, Kaffercitrom
- Indonesian cooking Daun jeruk purut (daun stands for the leaves, limau stands for the fruit)
- Hmong cooking Mav naus
- Khmer cooking Kraunch soeuth
- Laotian cooking Kok mak khi hout
- Malay cooking Daun limau purut (leaf), Limau purut (fruit)
- Thai cooking Bai makrut
- Vietnamese cooking Chanh sac, Truc
Thai red curry paste recipe: ingredients
- 1 teaspoon kaffir lime peel
- 1 teaspoon galangal root, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons lemon grass sliced thin
- 4-5 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 10 very small shallots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon coriander root, chopped
- 9 dried long red peppers (if you want it less spicy hot : Part of this amount may be substituted by red paprika powder – not as hot but it does improve the color.)
How to make a green or red Thai curry paste
- Pound all the ingredients in a mortar. Start with the more dry ingredients and end with shallots and garlic.
- This may also be done in a blender but the amount should be doubled or tripled as this is a small recipe and the blender blades will most likely only be able to blend a bigger quantity.
- When you have made a large quantity, store the curry paste as mentioned above.