Easy recipe for roasting vegetables in the oven so you will enjoy after very little work the delicious juices of oven roasted tomatoes, peppers and other summer veggies.
Makes 4 servings in 90 minutes, originally posted by Eli (The T-Bones Chef) at 30th December 2005 (Vegetables / Italy / Side Dish / Oven / No marination)
At the end of summer, when tomatoes (and the other vegetables of course) are abundant in the garden, this dish is a real delight. But with a little imagination, you can make it perfectly work for a cold winter night…
Ingredients for roasting vegetables in the oven
- 3 peppers (e.g. red, yellow and green), de-seeded and cut in small slices
- 6 large pomodori (Italian tomatoes), peeled and halved, or 16 cherry tomatoes, or 1 large (28 ounce) (800 gr) can of Italian tomatoes, drained
- 1 (preferably red) onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, quartered
- optional: a handful of black olives
- optional: one (small) green or yellow courgette, cut in cubes
- 1 tablespoon of (light brown, if possible) sugar, (In Belgium we use the brand "Caissonade" from Tienen
- 3 tablespoons of rice wine or sherry
- 3/4 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- sea-salt and pepper
Oven roasted vegetables recipe
- Preheat the oven to 390 °F (200 °C)
- Put all of the vegetables in an oven dish, sprinkle the sugar, pepper and salt on top and add the rice wine. Mix everything gently and cover with tin foil. Put this in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Remove the tin foil, mix gently and add the rosemary. Sprinkle the olive oil over the dish and put back in the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with lots of rice or bread, so you don’t forget to enjoy the rich and delicious juices…