Make this easy tom yum soup recipe so you will enjoy an authentic and delicious Thai soup with little work, healthy fresh ingredients and best of all: ready in less than 1 hour.
Makes 2 servings in 45 minutes, originally posted by The Skinny Cook’s wife) on 06th January 2006 (Fish and Seafood / Asian (Thailand) / Soup / Gas or electric stove / No marination)
The first time I asked my Belgian Skinny Cook hubby : "What food do you prefer?" He said without hesitation : "Chinese food!" …
Bringing him around to a variety of restaurants in Malaysia, I soon found out that any Asian food for him was ‘Chinese food’.
Some education was needed here for sure ….
One of my hubby’s many favourites is Thai ‘Tom Yum Soup". I already posted another tom yum soup recipe here. The one I post now is a clear, fresh-tasting soup with none of the oily instant tom yam paste gunk floating on top.
If you don’t like fat and you love a soup to be ready ‘on the spot’, this recipe is ideal!
Meanwhile my hubby is fully educated about ‘Asian food’ : When today I ask my Belgian hubby : "What food do you prefer?" He says without hesitation : "The food you cook!" … 🙂
Recipe for tom yum soup
Ingredients to make stock:
- 1 1/4 pint (700ml) chicken stock (cubes) or use real chicken stock
- 2 stalks lemon grass, bruised
- 10 stalks coriander root, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 onion, halved lengthwise and thickly sliced
- 4-8 bird chilies (cili padi) halved lengthwise
- 4 slices of lengkuas (fresh laos root)
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves (limau purut leaves), torn
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2-3 tsp sugar
Ingredients to make soup:
- 1/2 cup cauliflower separated into flowerets (or any other veggies you want to add)
- 1 medium-sized tomato, cut into wedges
- 7 ounce (200g) squid, cleaned and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly-ground white pepper to taste
Ingredients to garnish:
- 1 stalk spring onion, cut into 2 + 1/4 inch, (3 cm) lengths
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander, cut into 2 + 1/4 inch, (3 cm) lengths
Fast and easy tom yum goong recipe
- Put the water, stock-cubes, lemon grass, limau purut leaves, coriander roots, lime, fish sauce, onion and sugar in a pan. Bring the stock to the boil, skim off any scum that rises and reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- If desired, strain the stock. If you are not fussy like us, just add the rest of the ingredients listed, except the spring onion and coriander. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary, keep the soup boiling.
- Add squid and cook for 2 – 3 minutes in boiling soup.
- Garnish with spring onion and coriander leaves and serve your tom yum goong soup immediately.