Prepare this easy and delicious yellow curry chicken recipe so you will enjoy your authentic Indian chicken curry in less than 1 hour.
Originally posted by Suzy on 23th December 2000, makes 4 servings in 1 hour (Chicken / Asian (India) / Main Dish / Stove / No marination).
This authentic recipe is given by our friend Suzy, who’s mother was born in India. The ideal way to try this meal is to get invited by Suzy herself, second best is to cook it yourself.
Do know that many Indians use ingredients "to taste"… in other words: they can list down all the ingredients, and then it’s kind of up to you to know how much of each. Keep in mind that some westerners might have a lesser ‘spicy hot’ tolerance than Indians: if that’s the case with you, only add 1 tablespoon of yellow curry powder. Once the dish is finished, you will know for next time if you would tolerate more.
We wrote this recipe down on a piece of paper and kept in a drawer in our kitchen for a long time… No inspiration for what to cook? Simply open the drawer, follow the best curry chicken recipe and 1 hour later, voila: enjoy!
Authentic Indian chicken curry recipe
- Chicken: 1 (wash and cut into pieces)
- Cinnamon: 1 stick (break into 1/2)
- Star Anise: 1 or 2
- Cardamom: 2
- Potatoes: 2 or 3
- Curry Leaves: 2 or 3 stalks
- Salt: to taste
- Curry Powder: 5 tablespoons (Baba’s meat curry powder)
- Coconut Milk: 2 tablespoons or Fresh Milk (taste better with coconut milk)
- To be pounded:
- Big Onion: 1
- Shallots: 8
- Ginger: 3/4inch (2cm)
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Cashew Nut: 2
- Buah Keras – in English is candlenut-: 1
How to prepare your yellow chicken curry recipe
- Heat up oil in pan.
- Add pounded ingredients.
- Add onion, cardamom, star anise and fry until it turns slightly brown.
- Add chicken and curry leafs, salt, curry powder, and fry for a while (about 4 minutes).
- Add potatoes and water (6 to 7 cups, up to how thick you want the gravy to be).
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a boil again.
- Remove from fire and admit it: you just made the best chicken curry ever!