Make this fast and easy zucchini potato soup recipe so you will enjoy a cheap yet delicious soup, that you can further finetune to your own taste and wallet.
The main ingredients for these soup are (old) potatoes and (new) zucchinis. Make this soup in late summer before the first frost: when the fresh produce of zucchinis is at its peak, hence you should be able to buy them cheap. Tip: buy as much cheap zucchinis as you can, cut into pieces and freeze them, so you have them readily available all year round: especially in winter, when leek is in season.
To add your personal twist to this soup, buy cheap leftover cheese pieces in your supermarket or cheese outlet, so you can add some extra creamy tasty oomph.
When you are on a paleo diet: you know that potatoes and cheese are not allowed in The Paleo Diet from Dr. Loren Cordain… However when you live by the 80/20 rule, of you have cheat-days, this is a healthy recipe to cheat with. Potatoes are carb-bombs, so not advisable for diabetics nor people who follow a low or slow carb diet.
Recipe for zucchini soup
- 2 big potatoes, cut into pieces
- 2 leeks, cut in big rings, if leeks are not available or not in season (hence expensive), just replace them with 2 big onions
- 2 small zucchinis (about 1 pound or 500 gram), cut into pieces
- 2 pints (1 liter) of chicken stock or vegetable stock (homemade: fresh or frozen)
- pepper and salt to taste (also delicious: curry powder to taste or spicy chili flakes)
- if available: a few cloves of garlic
- about 2 oz (60 grams) of grated cheese or cream cheese
How to make zucchini potato soup
- Take a soup-pot with a thick bottom, heat some oil in it and sauté the leek until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes and zucchini (and 1 teaspoon of curry powder if you wish) and sauté 5 minutes more.
- Add the stock (with the peeled cloves of garlic if available)and bring to the boil on a high fire.
- Let the vegetables simmer in the stock for 20 minutes (put a lid on the pot).
- Add the cheese (and spices) and use the mixer to purée.
- Bring your zucchini soup to the boil again and let 1 to 2 minutes boil, so the starch of the potatoes will bind your soup. Taste and add more pepper or spices and serve with some extra grated cheese on top.