Prepare this proven easy zucchini soup recipe so with little work, little ingredients and little costs, you will enjoy a delicious, green vegetable soup.
Adding zucchini to any (green) vegetable soup, is an easy way to get through your summer harvest, which starts begin summer and ends when the first frost bites. Throughout that season, spinach is in season as well, so there you have an ideal combination to make a very green vegetable soup. Also broccoli will be in season, so if you happen all 3 veggies together, add all of them in 1 pot.
When you simply want to make a thicker soup without adding cream nor potatoes nor starch, adding in peeled zucchinis and mixing your soup will do the job, without changing the original colour of your soup too much. Of course the most healthy stuff is in the green peel, so by all means, use it green soups.
The peel is the toughest part of the vegetable, so when it’s not removed, make sure to cook the zucchini pieces at least 15 minutes.
As usual: when you happen to have some old bread lying around: don’t throw it away, but bake into croutons, seasoned with curry powder. For people that follow a paleo diet: bread is not allowed, so you shouldn’t have leftovers anyway… For those who make or buy artisanal (spelt) bread: croutons are an ideal way to boost new life into old bread.
Using zucchini as one of many ingredients of soup
- 2 zucchinis: cubed
- 2 onions: cut into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, flattened with your knife or mortar
- 2 pints (1 liter) vegetable stock
- 1 pound (1/2 kg) fresh spinach leaves, coarsely cut
- a dash of curry, salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for cooking
How to make a zucchini soup
- Saute the onion in a pan with some olive oil for cooking.
- Add zucchini, garlic and stir until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add vegetable stock, salt, pepper and curry, bring to the boil and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Throw in the spinach leaves, stir them around for 15 seconds and puree the zucchini soup with a immersion blender.
- Taste and add more spices if needed. When you want your zucchini soup to taste "mature" add a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice.