This proven recipe for chicken wings is so easy to make and so delicious, that it will become a frequent dish on your dinner table, guaranteed.
This recipe tastes best when you use for the ingredient "Mirin"… Don’t worry, we will offer you easily available substitutes.
Mirin (å‘³é†‚) is a Japanese rice wine similar to Sake but low in alcohol content and slightly sweet in taste. One could say it’s a sweet rice wine. If you don’t have Mirin by hand, the easiest substitute is sake added with some sugar and briefly boil it – Which in my opinion is a waste of good sake … –
Another substitute could be sherry or white wine with a little sugar. Best is to buy it in the Asian section of your supermarket, should be nearby rice wine and rice vinegar.
What is mirin
- Taste: This essential condiment used in Japanese cuisine has a slightly sweet taste. It is a kind of rice wine similar to sake, but with a lower alcohol content. In previous Japanese times, it was drunk as a sweet sake.
- Use: it is used to add a bright touch to broiled fish or to erase a fish’s smell. A small amount used in the place of sugar and soy sauce often improves a dish. It should not be used in large amounts, as its flavor is quite strong. It is sometimes used as a sushi accompaniment. Mirin is commonly used in Teriyaki sauce.
Recipe for chicken wings: ingredients
- mid joint chicken wings
- 1 bowl water
- For the easy marinade:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Mirin
- 1 tablespoon wine
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
How to make chicken wings
- Mix the marinade.
- Pour the marinade over the wings and marinate for at least ½ hour.
- Saute the wings in pan till lightly burnt. Pour away excess oil.
- Pour the remaining marinade with 1 bowl of water with the chicken in the pan.
- Cook on low fire till the sauce is half.
- Remove and serve hot with rice.
Tip for fried chicken wings: You can bring the wings back to a pan to saute again to get it a slight burnt (like what I did: see the picture above).
Again a delicious recipe from Wokkingmum: Thanks! Check out her great wokking site : "Let’s get wok-king" delicious culinary dishes from Wokkingmums’ private kitchen.
This easy recipe for chicken wings,
makes a frequent dish on our dinner table.
Sometimes, we have it as supper!
That’s why I can’t really find my waist lately.