2 delicious cherry smoothie recipes, so you will enjoy a cheap yet delicious fruit smoothie, winter or summer, vegan paleo or primal.
Cherries – like grapes – contain lots of sugar, making them ideal to add into paleo smoothies. Added to that, they contain lots of taste and colour, where scientists will tell you that they are rich in antioxidants like anthocyanins: well known for their anti-inflammatory properties. Add to that lots of vitamin A, vitamin C, copper, manganese, potassium and iron. In other words: next time they are in season: make an effort, buy them cheap in bulk, remove their stones and freeze into small batches to add to smoothies.
When cherries are in season, don’t add any other fruit. The consistency of the drink will not overly thick, but the taste will be amazingly delicious. You can’t even compare with those artificially cherry flavoured yogurt drinks they sell in the supermarket…
1. Vegan cherry paleo smoothie
Now don’t run when you hear the word vegan because you think vegan stands for skinny hippies hugging trees… You couldn’t be further away from the truth, and let me prove you wrong! For starters, I hardly have any hair left, so I can’t be a real hippy… But I love to save money, so here is how we do it…
But before that, let’s be reminded that trees make oxygen, so when you love your daily breath, start loving trees for providing you free oxygen. And fruittrees produce some of the best tasting fruits, like mangos or to keep focused to our recipe: cherries!
When cherries are no longer in season and you use them frozen: leave out the yoghurt and add frozen banana in the same ratio as you use cherries. Then add as much homemade nutmilk (almond milk) as you have fruit, and you will have a delicious paleo proved cherry banana smoothie so e.g.:
- 100 gram (3 1/3 oz) frozen cherries
- 100 gram (3 1/3 oz) frozen banana
- 200 gram (6 2/3 oz) almond milk
- Mix the above ingredients together and you paleo smoothie is ready.
How to make almond milk?
- Weigh about 10 grams (1/3 oz) of raw almonds (with brown skin) and soak in water overnight.
- Rinse your soaked almonds, put in a measuring cup and add water until you reach 100 ml (3 oz).
- Blend for at least 1 minute until there aren’t anymore chunks in the drink, that now looks like milk, hence the name almond milk. Rule of thumb estimates you just made yourself a drink with about 5% of healthy nutty fats.
2. Cherry smoothie recipe with yoghurt
The ingredients below result in 1 humongous smoothie of about 2 cups (500 ml) or a few small glasses.
When you follow a primal diet, you are allowed to drink homemade yogurt made out of raw milk from grass fed, organic cattle, hence you can also enjoy the recipe below.
- 8 3/4 ounce (250 gr) fresh cherries (7 ounce (200 gr) without stems nor pits)
- 10 ice cubes (3 1/2 ounce – 100 gr)
- 3 1/2 ounce (100 gr) fresh white yogurt (no sugar added)
- 10 drops organic vanilla-extract
- Add all above ingredients in the cup of an electric blender, milkshake maker or food processor and blend until smooth.
- If you want your smoothie of a thicker consistency, add more ice or more cherries or both.
- Pour into chilled glasses and serve your cherry smoothie immediately.