Prepare this fast and easy pineapple smoothie recipe so you will enjoy a delicious drink from fresh or tinned pineapple.
Fresh pineapples contain an enzyme called bromelain (for flower lovers: pineapple is family of the bromeliads, hence the name of the enzyme: bromelain). This enzyme offers anti-inflammatory properties, therefore it is used in Latin America to treat wounds or insectbites. Some western studies highlight that bromelain can support the immune response against viruses, and some tumors.
In other words…: fresh pineapple is good for you!
The enzyme also breaks down ingredients with proteins, which explains why pineapple with fresh yogurt or cottage cheese will curdle. Or why gelatin desserts with fresh pineapple become watery. In order not to have this problem: use cooked pineapple in gelatine desserts and consume pineapple smoothies with yogurt immediately after blending.
When you follow a strict paleo diet and therefore don’t eat yogurt, replace yoghurt with frozen banana or fresh avocado for an equally delicious drink. When your paleo smoothie isn’t sweet enough: mix a sweet pear through the ingredients:
(non paleo!) Pineapple smoothie recipe ingredients
This recipe contains yogurt, so without adding any palmsuger, it will be primal proved, provided you use a fresh pineapple!
- 4 to 8 ounces (65 to 130 gr) ripe, fresh pineapple: peeled and diced. If you don’t have fresh pineapple, then you can use pineapple of a tin can (a small tin has about 8 ounces – 130gr) pineapple, do use the juice and adjust the taste after blending. Do know that pineapple from a tin most likely contains added sugars, so that won’t be paleo nor primal.
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) plain, natural yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- optional to taste: palmsugar, 1 pear, 1 banana
- 10 ice cubes
How to make a pineapple smoothie
- Place all ingredients – except the palmsugar, pear, banana – in the cup of an electric blender, milkshake maker or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Taste and add sugar (pear or banana) when needed.
- Pour your pineapple smoothie into chilled glasses and serve immediately (as the enzymes of the pineapple will start to curdle the yogurt).