Delicious and easy Indian mixed vegetable recipe so you will enjoy a cheap meal and cook up this Indian storm with all your leftover vegetables.
Makes 4 servings in 30 minutes, originally posted by The Skinny Cook : 08th December 2005 (Vegetables / Asian (India) / Side Dish / Stove / No marination)
Did you ever go vegetable shopping? Shops discourage you not to buy vegetables in small amounts.
Sometimes you don’t find a small portion of a vegetable, sometimes the price of a portion of a vegetable is almost the same as buying the whole vegetable.
So you end up like us with a fridge full of vegetables left-overs : a carrot, some stems of celery, some tomatoes, a paprika…
This simple mixed vegetable recipe is one way to getting a delicious meal out of all the vegetables you find in your fridge.
When you serve 4 persons, make sure the total amount of vegetables is around 10oz (300gr). Mix any vegetables you can find in your fridge, the vegetables mentioned below is what I found in my fridge.
Example of Indian mixed vegetables recipe
- 4 tablespoons santan/coconut milk
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- vegetables : e.g.
- 2oz (60g) ladies’ fingers (leave whole)
- 2oz (60g) French beans (stringed and cut into 5cm/2inch lengths)
- 2oz (60g) carrot (sliced)
- 2oz (60g) cabbage (shredded)
- 2oz (60g) green peas
- Mix to a paste :
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder(kunyit : powder of a yellow root)
- 4 tablespoons water
- Pound (or grind with a blender):
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 small onions
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
Recipe for mixed vegetables preparation
- Heat oil and fry pounded ingredients and the chili paste until fragrant
- Put in the ladies’ fingers, French beans and carrot to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add a little water if necessary.
- Add cabbage, green peas, santan and salt to taste. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Dish up and serve your Indian mixed vegetables hot.