Make this quick and simple curry recipe, no blender nor cooking experience needed, so you will enjoy an authentic Indian chicken curry in less than 1 hour.
Makes 2 servings in 45 minutes, originally posted by The Skinny Cook, 23th December 2000 (Chicken / Asian (India) / Main Dish / Stove / No marination)
This recipe if for people without a blender. When you have a blender, you can simply blend together in 1 go A + B + C + the cashewnuts. Of course the taste will be different, but you gained on work and speed.
Without a blender, I particularly like this recipe for its time- efficiency :
- you start frying the onion,
- then process more ingredients,
- add them to the frying pan,
- and process more ingredients,
- add them to the frying pan…
… until all ingredients are processed and added. Lid on the pan, simmer, done: easypeasy.
Authentic Indian chicken curry ingredients
- 1/2 chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 potato, cut in 1 inch (2,5cm) parts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (about 120 ml) milk
- 6 ground cashew nuts
- oil to fry
- salt to taste (1/2 teaspoon)
- (A) Grind:
- 1 inch (2,5cm) piece stick cinnamon
- 1 clove
- 3 cardamoms
- 6 black peppercorns
- (B) Grind together:
- 1 inch (2,5cm) piece ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- (C) Grind:
- 6 dried chilies
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 stars-anise
How to prepare your simple curry recipe
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and fry onions till golden.
- Add tomatoes and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add ground spices (A), and fry for a few minutes.
- Add (B) and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add (C) and fry well.
- Add the chicken and fry, stirring well, till oil separates or about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and add the potatoes. Leave to simmer till chicken and potatoes are tender.(20-30 minutes)
- Add ground cashew-nuts. Season to taste and serve your simple curry chicken hot.