Hungry and in a hurry? Prepare this quick recipe for curry chicken and you will be enjoying delicious chicken curry with rice in less than 30 minutes.
Originally posted by The Skinny Cook, 05th December 2005, makes 2 servings in 30 minutes (Chicken / Asian (Malaysia) / Main Dish / Stove / No marination).
A long day at the office, rushing to buy a chicken on the way home, very hungry but still need to cook your dinner… You know the feeling? We do and below is our solution : a quick curry recipe that you can make in 30 minutes (and even take a shower in between if you are an experienced cook who dares to leave his pan unattended on the fire).
Do know we are cooking rice: ideally in a small rice cooker (fill, set and forget) or like we do it: boil water in a water kettle and cook the rice in a small pot with thick bottom layer (12 minutes boiling time). For those making rice in those plastic bags (type Uncle Ben’s)… also boil water in a water kettle and then use it to boil your rice (also less than 30 minutes).
Also delicious: serve with crunchy (French) bread or ciabatta: less dishes afterwards and no time wasted cooking rice.
To speed up things, you need to use 2 pans (more dishes afterwards, but the main goal is to have dinner ready asap):
- first add chicken in pan 1 to brown in a bit of oil
- then chop ingredients and add in pan 2 and saute
- combine the 2 in 1
- meanwhile cook rice
- and if you are 2: at least one person can already take a shower.
In the above example, half an hour later my wife was the one who had her shower and we could start enjoying this quick dinner recipe.
Agreed: 2 pans means a bit more dishes, but remember… still one needs to take a shower, meanwhile the other one can keep himself/herself occupied.
Quick curry chicken ingredients
- 1st the chicken:
- half a chicken cut into bite-sized-pieces
- when you prefer to make curry chicken with curry powder: half a tablespoon of curry powder (we didn’t add curry powder in the curry chicken pictured in the image below)
- some oil to fry (1 tablespoon)
- some salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- Then the aromatics:
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch (2,5 cm) fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 green chilies seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cardamoms
- salt to taste (1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 pot of about 5oz (150gr) yogurt
- To garnish and add extra fresh taste when serving:
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander
Simple curry recipe preparation
- In one pan : heat oil. Sprinkle some salt (and curry powder) over the chicken, add to the pan and brown all sides.
- In another pan : heat oil, add chopped chilies, garlic, ginger, cardamoms and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add fried ingredients from the second pan in the ‘chicken’ pan : add yoghurt and an extra pinch of salt. Put a lid on it and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes: until ready.
- Add coriander leaves, remove from heat and serve your quick chicken curry hot with cooked rice or (Indian) bread.