Choose between 1 of these 3 strawberry smoothie recipes with yogurt, so you will capture the delicious taste of fresh strawberries: as delicious as ice cream.
Strawberries are very delicate, so buy your strawberries the day you want to make your smoothies: it’s just a shame and a waste of money when you buy them, didn’t see 1 tiny moldy spot, only to find out a few days later that half of your box needs to be thrown away.
You can be very creative and invent your own strawberry smoothie recipes as follows…
- fresh fruit and
- …and if you add ice and honey, you are very close to a strawberry ice cream, yet without the extra calories of cream. Be mindful that losing weight is more than just counting calories: also the quality of the calories is important. Lots of people do lose weight on a low carb high fat diet, and lots of people do gain weight on a low fat diet but consuming way too much added sugar.
- hence the solution for a delicious smoothie without the added sugar: blend bananas through the mixture. Bananas make your drink smooth, don’t add to much taste but are filled with natural – hence healthy – sugar!
Combine the freshness of:
So even when your sweetener of choice is a healthy homemade honey, try not to overindulge with honey nor any other sweeteners for that matter: when you are indulging in your sweet drink on the sofa, the sugar has nowhere else to go than to be stored into fat (no exercise, no need for extra sugar).
1. Strawberry smoothie recipe with yogurt ingredients
This fresh fruit recipe makes about 2 cups (500 ml).
- about 6 ounce (180 gr) fresh strawberry
- about 6 ounce (180 gr) yogurt
- 3 1/2 ounce (100 gr) ice cubes
- 1 3/4 ounce (50 gr) brown sugar (palmsugar): start with less and taste before you add more sugar: all depends on your taste and the sweetness of the berries (for a more icecream adventure: use honey in stead of sugar)
How to make a strawberry smoothie
If you want to frequently make bigger quantities in 1 go, it is recommended to buy a separate smoothie blender or smoothie machine. Otherwise use a mortar and pestle to crush the ice first, and a normal immersion mixer for mixing all the ingredients in a small, tall recipient.
- Place all ingredients in the cup of an electric blender (milkshake maker or food processor) and blend until smooth.
- Taste: if not sweet enough: add more sugar and blend again. If too sweet, add more yogurt and/or more strawberries and blend again.
- Pour into a chilled glass and serve immediately or set to rest 1 hour in the freezer.
2. Strawberry banana smoothie recipe
This recipe is as delicious as ice cream on a hot summer day, especially when you replace the yogurt with sour cream.
When you prefer a thinner smoothie, use less ice, don’t freeze your fruits or add more milk.
- 1 banana (with peel about 100 grams, 3.5 oz)
- 6 large strawberries (also about 100 grams, 3.5 oz)
- 100 ml (3.4 oz) cream or 100 ml (3.4 fl. oz) yogurt (equally delicious, less calories and much more healthy)
- 50 ml milk (1.75 fl. oz)
- some ice cubes on a hot summer day
- brown palmsugar or vanilla sugar or honey or maple syrup to taste
How to make a strawberry banana smoothie
To make a very thick creamy smoothie, use frozen strawberries and frozen banana pieces. Banana is ideal to freeze in (after peeling) when you bought a bunch and can’t consume them fast enough.
We do recommend using sturdy kitchenware that’s able to crush frozen fruit and ice cubes. When using a normal blender, you could easily crush the ice first in a kitchen towel by e.g beating on it with a wooden rolling pin.
- Peel the banana, remove the green stalks of the strawberries and put all ingredients in the jug of your blender or smoothie maker.
- Blend until smooth and taste. If not sweet enough, add a bit of your favorite sugar, mix and taste again.
3. Healthy strawberry banana smoothie
We define healthy as being paleo, or just for the record:
- all ingredients are fresh from sustainable, organic agriculture
- no sugar is added.
We all know that strawberries and yogurt are sour, and we tend to compensate that by adding sugar. Since we are not going to add sugar, all boils down to choosing the right ingredients:
- look for a sweet variety of strawberry (can’t give you any better advice than simply try and taste. When you don’t live next to a strawberry farmer, your best option is to choose the most ripe looking strawberries in your local shop and make a strawberry drink the same day! Consume strawberries as quick as possible or… buy a bunch when they are in season, freeze them in immediately for making smoothies later)
- choose a not too sour yogurt (hence not all milksugars will be converted and add sweetness in your drink), again you need to hunt and try until you find your favorite brand
- add banana for extra sweetness
Healthy strawberry banana smoothie ingredients
Although we will be using more banana than strawberry, the taste of the strawberries will still prevail.
- 5 1/4 ounce (150 gr) strawberry
- 3.5 ounce (100 gr) yogurt
- 2 big bananas (about 7 ounce 200 gr)
- 3.5 ounce (100 gr) ice-cubes
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
How to make a banana smoothie with strawberries
- Place all ingredients in the cup of an electric blender, milkshake maker or food processor and blend until smooth. If you only have a mixer, then use a mortar to crush the ice before mixing it.
- This is a cool refreshing drink, just that the colour could turn brownish due to the high amount of bananas and not very much sourness to keep them from oxidizing. Solution: serve immediately!